November 30, 2017
The Global Platform and the Regional Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction are the main forums at global and regional level for knowledge and practice sharing, coordination, partnership development, and assessment of progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction taking also into account interlinkages with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. These Platforms bring together the world’s foremost gathering of stakeholders committed to reducing risk and building the resilience of communities and nations to disasters. The substantive outcome of the Global Platforms and Regional Platforms informs the review of disaster risk reduction related SDGs through the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF).
The Global Platform and the Regional Platforms create opportunities for Member States and other stakeholders to exchange lessons learnt and develop policies on water and disaster risk-reduction related SDGs; to periodically monitor and assess progress on target 11.5; to build new partnerships and alliances; and to share knowledge across communities of practice for the integration of disaster risk management in other sectors relevant to development and climate change as for example water. Potential topics for consideration at the Global and Regional Platforms that would contribute to the achievement of the Decade could include:
- Water-related disasters and transboundary cooperation
- Integrated water resource management, disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation
- Integrated flood and drought risk management
- Ecosystem –based solutions to reduce disaster risk and address climate change
- Organization: United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR)